[Charlug] Will this work with linux ubuntu 12.04

Shay Walters ShayW at controlmanagement.com
Tue Apr 16 11:03:39 CEST 2013

    If that USB adapter has the right chipset, it will work fine.  You
kind of have to know what to look for, but under the "Item Specifics", it
has this:

Model:  Ralink 	Brand:  Etekcity
MPN:    RT3072

    I don't know what MPN stands for, but RT3072 is a RALink chipset
number, and it's a chipset that works with Linux (I think from kernel 2.6
on, maybe 2.4-on) with no additional drivers needed.
    I've gotten one of these before and was able to connect to an access
port about 100 yards away (open terrain, no trees or anything between.)
The down side to using such high power is that it will interfere with any
other Wi-Fi devices you have close by.  I don't remember exactly how much,
but it was noticeable.
    I've seen some similar things on ebay with a RT5xxx chipset, and they
will claim to work with Linux in the ebay ad, but I've never gotten them
to work.

-Shay